plbanae.jpg (1211 bytes) plbanfj.jpg (1070 bytes) plbanko.jpg (1260 bytes) plbanpt.jpg (1078 bytes) plbanuz.jpg (1137 bytes)

Kabak Kuyu

Suvla sector. Turkish for 'Cabbage Well'. A valuable well in the area of, and overlooked by, Hill 60.


Kabatepe

Turkish for 'rough hill'. See Gaba Tepe.


Kaiajik Aghala

Suvla sector. Turkish name for Hill 60. See there.


Kaiajik Dere

'Little Rock Valley', running parallel with Damakçilik Spur near Hill 60. In it, one of the important wells in the area was situated.


Kanli Sirt

Turkish for 'Bloody Ridge'. See Lone Pine.


Karakol Dagh

Suvla sector. A hill of the Kiretch Tepe Range, north-east of Suvla Point. A slightly lower section of the same formation is known as Karakol Gap. On the night of the landing, it was the scene of an advance by the Manchester Rgt against the right flank of the Turkish defences. See also Kiretch Tepe.


Karakol Gap

Suvla sector. Part of the Kiretch Tepe range. See Karakol Dagh.


Kereviz Dere

French Helles sector. A deep ravine, opening up towards the sea east of Eskihisarlik point, the extreme southern tip of the peninsula. As part of the ravine was in Turkish hands, the Kereviz Dere was the scene of fierce fighting by the French during the consecutive Battles of Krithia.


Kiretch Tepe

Suvla sector. The Turkish Kireçtepe ('Limestone Hill') was originally the name of a single hill, but after the Suvla landings it soon referred to the complete mountainous range of hills north of Suvla Plain. It comprises a number of separate landmarks known under names like Jephson's Post, Karakol Dagh, Karakol Gap, Azmak Dere, The Boot and Kidney Hill. Kiretch Tepe, which was the objective of the Manchester Rgt at the landing, was also the extreme right flank of the Turkish defences of the Suvla sector. A number of pickets consisting of Turkish Gendarmerie delayed the British advance on the ridge until it finally ground to a halt near Karakol Gap.


Kidney Hill

Suvla sector. A hill of the Kiretch Tepe range, behind the Turkish lines. Named after its characteristic shape.


Kiliç Bairi

Turkish (Sword Hill) for Baby 700. See there.


Kirmizi Sirt

Turkish for 'Crimson Ridge'. See Johnston's Jolly.


Kirte

Old Turkish name for Krithia, now Alçitepe. See Krithia.


Knife Edge, The (1)

Northern Anzac sector. One of the early names given to the prominent feature known as 'The Sphinx'.


Knife Edge, The (2)

Southern Anzac sector. Turkish position. The southward continuation of Sniper's Ridge, which runs off the Lone Pine Plateau. Faces Bolton's Ridge and Harris Ridge.


Kocaçimentepe

Turkish Northern Anzac sector. Turkish name for Hill 971, meaning 'Great Pasture Hill'. See Hill 971.


Koja Chemen Tepe

Turkish Anzac sector. The common name among the allied forces for Kocaçimentepe or Hill 971. See there.


Krithia    (Turk. : Alçitepe)

Originally called Kirte, now Alçitepe. The village was so heavily shelled that it was completely destroyed. There is an unconfirmed story that two officers who had landed on Y beach strolled around the village on 25th April, but the village was never captured during the campaign.


Kuchuk Kemekli

Suvla sector. Another name for Nibrunesi Point. See there.


Kur Dere

Northern Turkish Anzac sector. A valley on the inland side between Chunuk Bair and Hill Q. Mentioned as one of the objectives in the operations order for August 6.


Lala Baba

Suvla sector. The highest ground between Nibrunesi Point and the Salt Lake. Originally a Turkish observation post, it was raided several times by New Zealanders before the August landings at Suvla Bay. On it a German flag was flown after the evacuation.


Lancashire Landing

Other name for W beach after the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers who landed there and won 'five VC's before breakfast'. See W beach.


Leane's Trench

Southern Anzac sector. Originally a set of Turkish trenches on Holly Ridge, opposite Tasmania Post, captured on July 31 by the 11th Battalion under Captain Leane.


Legge Valley

Anzac sector. The valley between the Second and the Third Ridge, behind Johnston's Jolly. As the better part of it was shielded from observation by the Anzac forces, it was used by the Turks to bring troops and supplies to the front line. It was named after Col. James Legge, commander of the 1st Division.


Little Table Top

Northern Anzac sector. A small, flat-topped hill north of the original 'Table Top', which was sometimes called 'Big Table Top'.


Lone Pine   (Turk. : Kanli Sirt )

Central Anzac sector. The southern 'lobe' of the 400 Plateau. So named because on April 25 the southern half of the 400 Plateau was covered in scrub about a metre high, with a single, stunted pine tree growing higher. The area was originally called 'Lonesome Pine' after the tree, and because a popular song in Australia in 1914 had been 'The Trail of the Lonesome Pine'. Fighting was fierce here during the first few days, the Anzac forces eventually being pushed back closer to the ridge along the seaward edge. The Turkish trenches then established were later taken and held by the Australians after three days of continuous and bitter hand-to-hand fighting during the August offensive. Seven Victoria Crosses were won here at that time. Today the largest of the Australian cemeteries and the main memorial to the missing Australians of the campaign is located here, over the site of the bloodiest fighting of August 1915.


Long Sap, The

Northern Anzac sector. Another name for The Big Sap. See there.


MacLagan's Ridge

Anzac sector. A ridge that leads to the top of Plugge's Plateau from Hell Spit, on its southern side. Although it is narrow and steep, it was and still is the easiest way up. It was named after Lt. Col. Sinclair-MacLagan, commander of the 3rd Brigade.


MacLaurin's Hill

Central Anzac sector. Another name for MacLaurin's Ridge. See there.


MacLaurin's Ridge

Central Anzac sector. Another name for the part of the second ridge between Johnston's Jolly in the south and Quinn's Post farther up north. Named after Colonel H.N. Maclaurin, Brigadier of the 1st Australian Infantry Brigade, who was killed by a sniper here on April 28th.


McCay's Hill

Northern Anzac sector. On the right flank, between White Valley to the north and Victoria Gully to the south, and behind Lone Pine / Owen's Gully. Named after the Brigadier of the 2nd Australian Infantry Brigade.


Malone's Gully

Northern Anzac sector. A dry watercourse leading up towards the seaward side of The Nek, and running between Happy Valley and No. 1 Post. Named after Colonel Malone, NZEF, who was killed on Chunuk Bair.


Mal Tepe

A small hill inland from the Anzac sector, on which were situated Turkish guns. One of the original objectives mentioned in the Operation order for the Anzac Landing.


Merkez Tepe

Turkish (Central Hill) for German Officers' Trench. See there.


Monash Gully

Central Anzac sector. Another name for Monash Valley. See there.


Monash Valley

Central Anzac sector. The main northern branch of Shrapnel Valley, the inland wall of which formed the 'Second Ridge' - the Anzac front line - terminating behind Quinn's Post and Pope's Hill. As it was the main artery for traffic to and from the front, continuous Turkish sniping from the Chessboard, the gap in the line between Quinn's and Pope's Hill, was a real nuisance during the first stages of the Campaign. It was here that General Bridges was mortally wounded by a sniper. Only after this fire had been subdued by elaborate Australian counter-sniping measures and a number of alternating sandbag dams had been built, was it reasonably safe to move through the valley during daytime.


Mortar Ridge

Central Anzac sector. A large ridge running southward off Baby 700, roughly parallel to 'Second Ridge' and extending behind German Officers' Trench, terminating in rear of the northern end of Johnston's Jolly. On the reverse slope of Mortar Ridge were dugouts protecting the Turkish reserves.


Morto Bay  (Turk. : Morto Koyu)

French Helles sector. The wide bay between Seddülbahir and Hisarlik Point, the promontory on which the Turkish memorial stands, at the extreme tip of the peninsula. Known to the Turks as Morto Koyu ( Death Cove) or Seddülbahir Koyu. At the eastern side of the bay was S beach, where 3 companies of the South Wales Borderers made a small-scale landing on 25th April, overcame the weak Turkish opposition and held their ground for 48 hours. The sector was then handed over to the French for the rest of the campaign.


Mule Gully

Anzac sector. A ravine running between The Sphinx, on the south, and Walker's Ridge to the north. Under its sheltering high banks the mules of the Indian Supply and Transport Corps were largely protected from enemy fire.


Narrows, The    (Turk. : Chanakkale Bogazi)

Other name for the Dardanelles. See there.


Nek, The    (Turk. : Boyun)

The narrow saddle connecting Russell's Top to the lower part of Baby 700,  between Malone's Gully and Monash Valley. Here the allied advance in a northern direction was eventually checked in the evening of 25th April. After a stalemate that lasted until summer, the place became famous for the suicidal attack of the 8th and 10th Australian Light Horse, as a diversion during the August battles on 7th August. In four successive lines, they were ordered to attack an impregnable Turkish position, consisting of 7 lines of trenches, over an open space only 30 m wide and not bigger than a couple of tennis courts. Within half an hour, of the 600 men and officers who went over the top, 234 were killed and 138 more were wounded. Partly also as a result of Peter Weir's film 'Gallipoli', which ends with the attack, this episode of the Gallipoli Campaign is generally considered to be one of the strongest examples of the insanity of war in general.


Nibrunesi Point    (Turk. : Kuchuk Kemekli)

Suvla sector. The southern 'horn' of Suvla Bay, shown on some maps as Kuchuk Kemekli.


North Beach

Northern Anzac sector. The stretch of beach between Ari Burnu and No. 2 Outpost. Also referrred to as Ocean Beach.


Ocean Beach

Northern Anzac sector. Another name for North Beach. See there.


Olive Grove

Turkish position, Southern Anzac sector. Clumps of trees inland from Gaba Tepe. 'Beachy Bill' and other Turkish guns were dug in in the vicinity and are often referred to as 'The Olive Grove' guns. Their exact position cannot be retraced anymore, but must have been very close to the Gaba Tepe Information Center.


Otago Gully

Northern Anzac sector. Just north of No. 2 Outpost and south of No. 3 Outpost.


Outpost No 1

Northern Anzac sector. Located on the extreme seaward end of the southernmost spur leading up to Baby 700, north of Malone's Gully, and south of Fisherman's Hut. Sometimes known as Maori Post, as it was garrisoned by the Maori Contingent, NZEF.


Outpost No 2

Northern Anzac sector. Located on the extreme seaward end of the main foothill of Rhodendron Spur, north of Fisherman's Hut. It was here that two of the three Turkish machine guns that did so much damage to the 7th Battalion during the Landing was situated (the other having been on Fisherman's Hut Knoll itself). Called Nelson Hill in the early days because it was held by the 10th (Nelson) Company, of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, NZEF, from April 30. Afterwards taken over by the Otago Mounted Rifles, eventually becoming Divisional Headquarters for the August offensive.


Outpost No 3   (Turk. : Haliden Rizar Tepesi)

Northern Anzac sector. Established just north of No. 2 Outpost when Old No. 3 was abandoned. (See Old No. 3 Outpost).


Old No 3 Outpost

Northern Anzac sector. High ground above and inland of, Fisherman's Hut. Captured and held for two days by the N.Z.M.R. in May, but eventually abandoned to the Turks. Retaken during the August offensive.


Owen's Gully    (Turk. : Djemal Dere)

Central Anzac sector. A gully in Turkish territory that divides the 400 Plateau into its two 'lobes'; Johnston's Jolly and Lone Pine. Named after Brigadier General Cunliffe Owen, the artillery commander of the A & NZAC. One smaller Gully that branches from it and cuts into Lone Pine was called 'The Cup', by C.E.W. Bean in his official history.


plbanae.jpg (1211 bytes) plbanfj.jpg (1070 bytes) plbanko.jpg (1260 bytes) plbanpt.jpg (1078 bytes) plbanuz.jpg (1137 bytes)

Go back to Contents